Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- Project Jacquard: Google And Levi’s Launch The First ‘Smart’ Jean Jacket For Urban Cyclists – Google and Levi combine fashion and technology to create a functional smart jacket.
- These musicians stayed popular longest, according to 6 decades of Billboard chart data – Josh Rosenblat uses data visualization to analyze and understand top musician’s staying power.
- Walk This Way: Let Your Shoes Tell You Where To Go – EasyJet, a European airline, is working on creating smart shoes that provide navigation signals by sending vibrations to the feet.
- Understanding Deep Dreams – Learn about deep dreaming and how neural networks classify images.
- IBM’s Big Data University: Free Online Learning With Over 400,000 Students – Student’s can sign up for free on IBM’s Big Data University and learn data science at their own pace.
- No, AI isn’t going to steal your job, but it will change it – and here’s how – Rather than stealing people’s jobs, AI will improve how people do their jobs.
- R vs. Java vs. Python: Which Is Right for Your Project? – R, Java, and, and Python are three of the most popular languages in data science. Learn the basics of each in order to choose the one that best suits your needs.
- Let Me Hear Your Voice and I’ll Tell You How You Feel – Learn how Carlos Argueta builds a voice tone analyzer for his emotion detection system.
- Teaching Your Raspberry Pi to Speak with IBM Watson – Use Rasberry Pi and IBM Bluemix to create text to speech functionality.
- How to Explain Machine Learning to a Software Engineer – Software engineering consists of a machine-readable set of instructions while machine learning data is fed to an algorithm which then figures out the rules itself. Sebastian Raschka discusses the differences between software engineering and machine learning.
- Google Has a Plan to Kill Off Passwords – Google hopes to replace passwords with a new authentication system that uses biometrics like facial recognition or a user’s walking pattern.
- Tesla Tests Self-Driving Functions with Secret Updates to Its Customers’ Cars – Tesla is pulling data from the sensor’s in it’s customer’s cars in order to learn about user patterns and traffic conditions.
- Three key strategies every company can use to enable a data science breakthrough – In order to enable data science breakthroughs, companies should consider isolating some of their data scientists into labs so they can make discoveries that can move the company to the next level.
- A Beginner’s Guide To Big Data Terminology – Learn the data science basic terminology and jargon before diving deep into data science.
- What’s Your Pay Gap? – This data visualization displays the gender pay gap in various industries.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- Data Science Bootcamp – A summer of data, analytics and insight – Attend a free summer bootcamp starting May 20th in Toronto. Get hands-on training and receive a badge upon completion.
- Cluster Analysis – Attend this hands-on session on June 7th in Toronto to learn about cluster analysis, and its applications.
- Analytics Strategies in the Cloud – Learn how to make analytics easier for everyone in your company on June 7th in Toronto.
- Introduction to Watson Analytics – Get started using Watson Analytics on June 7th in Washington.
- Data Science Methodology – Hands-on workshop using data on food ingredients – Learn about how a data scientist’s workflow from start to end on June 11th in Tokyo.
- IBM at the Big Data Conference & Exhibition – Network With Top Influencers
In The Big Data Industry on June 14th in Toronto.
- Internet of Things case study: Using big data to create operational efficiencies – On June 14th, Mohan Krisnamurthy, Senior Product Manager of Qubole and Paul Asoyan, Strategic Partnerhips Manager of Google Cloud Platform will discuss how IoT data can be analyzed and turned into insights.
from Big Data University http://bigdatauniversity.com/blog/this-week-in-data-science-16/